Fun Utah Facts

The name Utah comes from the Native American Ute Tribe and means people of the mountain. Utah has five national parks: Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce and Capitol Reef. Utah has seven national monuments: Cedar Breaks, Natural Bridges, Dinosaur, Rainbow Bridge, Grand Staircase-Escalante, Timpanogos Cave and Hovenweep. Utah has six national forests: Ashley, Dixie, Fishlake, Manti-Lasal, Uinta, and Wasatch-Cache. Utah has two national recreational areas: Flaming Gorge and Glen Canyon. Utah covers 84,900 square miles of land and is ranked 11th largest state. The Great Salt Lake, which is about 75 miles long and 35 miles wide, covers more than a million acres. Of the 50 states, Utah has the youngest population; one of the highest birth rates; the second lowest death rate; the heathiest population; the hightest literacy rate; the highest percent of high school graduates; and the highest number of people with a college education.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Get up Family !

My eyes were open, but my body not moving at any great speed to climb out
of bed this morning. Wendy has put this best. She and Eli had slept on
the pull-out bed in the living room. I heard the next morning, the rustle
of the bed and her feet hit the floor . I then hear her grumble.... nothin
like puttin your boots on first thing to walk to the outhouse. Winter gives
it extra special - I don't want to - meaning.

So, laying there this morning not wanting to get up, all cozy and warm, Dean
and Eli still snoozing, I hear a LOUD female voice say "WARNING CARBON MONOXIDE".
Dean is up. What?. That voice again. "WARNING CARBON MONOXIDE". Open the windows
Dean say's from down stairs, he is fast and already checking the wood stove.

This happened one afternoon in Kearns and it was a combination of low battery
and dust build-up on the sensor. But here the danger is greater here with our woodburning stove, also the propane fridge and stove both have pilot lights
burning. Our detector warns well before levels are dangerous and also senses
strange odors, so we really didn't panic.

I had left the oven on. A strange temp of 270 degrees ? The point of this
post: Check your surrounding before going to bed, have 2 or more detectors
up and in working order.

P.S. I no longer even try to format or edit, it just does whatever it
wants anyhow.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree to always check everything when going to bed. I generally walk through twice- learned habit (you all may not need to be that fanatic about it). I have 1 Carbon Monoxide alarm that I know works and one I am not as sure about so I am definitely getting 1 or 2 more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent reminder. I'm glad you have detectors in your house. You guys are so smart.

    ReplyDelete